Saturday, July 09, 2005

ch

Mumble! Mumble! MUMBLE!

Well, I hate to push down Nathan's post, just as I did last week. So I'll just remind the reader to scroll down to his post about Scotland/crazy storm picture.

Here I'm adopting one of the generic conventions of the Nathan/Ed school of blogging--namely, a tenuously (or completely un-)related photo to liven up what might otherwise be an ordinary post.

Thanks to my two hours on the commuter rail every weekday, I've been getting a lot of reading done. Right now I'm working my way through Robert Scholes' Textual Power, a short book about the applications of literary theory to real classroom instruction (and vice versa).

Anyway, the photo. I can't think of Robert Scholes without picturing Paul Scholes, the Manchester United midfielder. This photo in particular is a great one because Scholes isn't much of a tough guy, whereas the player he appears to be kicking...well, they have a chant about him that goes something like this:

He's only five foot four
He'll break your fucking jaw.



In this case, Dennis Wise is probably analogous to Stanley Fish, with whom Scholes has had a lot of beef over the years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home