Thursday, June 01, 2006

ch

Apparently the Grouse will live on after all...


May 30
Originally uploaded by cdhu.
In New Haven, there's currently a thunderstorm on, and while I imagine that the weather can't be all that different in Providence, it makes me a little nostalgic for sunny days (like this--albeit sad--one) on the East Side.

On the plus side, I can already tell that this is going to be a great summer for my reading list. I live alone, am mildly afraid to go out at night, and don't have a working TV (thus no nightly interface with 'the Nation,' even if I could get NESN here in the borderlands of Yankee territory). I've already read some good stuff, including:

- Ian Hacking in the LRB on autism
- bits and pieces of the new n+1
- this Chronicle of Higher Education article on Critical Inquiry's ranking of theorists, which includes the following passage:

The authors of the ranking, Anne H. Stevens, an assistant professor of English at the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, and Jay W. Williams, Critical Inquiry's managing editor, note that "Benjamin's works are cited nonargumentatively," which I think is a nice way of saying his ideas are just window dressing, not engaged with. That must be why he ranks high as one of the most perfectly citable authors of all, because you can cite him reverently without having to figure out what he said. With Benjamin a citation is the academic equivalent of the purely ritual move, like a ballplayer's sign of the cross.

Which only serves to remind me that I need to find a nearby bar where I can watch the Red Sox.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home